The Università di Bologna (UNIBO) was founded in 1088, making it the oldest university in the Western world. The university with the anatomy hall can be visited within a guided tour of the city.
Palazzo dell ‘Archiginnasio
The first university building was the Palazzo dell ‘Archiginnasio. On the ceilings and walls of the corridors, the students ‘ coats of arms are immortalized, forming a decorative and historical testimony of the university.
Personalities such as Dante Alighieri, Paracelsius, Erasmo da Rotterdam, Raimundo de Pegñafort, Albrecht Dürer, San Carlo Borromeo, Carlo Goldoni were students of the university. Among the most important professors were Umberto Eco, writer and Luigi Galvani, the discoverer of the galvanic current.
Today, the Palazzo dell ‘Archiginnasio houses the library with its valuable works. The University of Bologna currently has 23 faculties.
The Anatomy Amphitheatre
The anatomical lectures were held in the anatomical theatre of the University of Bologna (established in 1837 in the Palazzo dell ‘Archiginnasio).
In the middle is the marble table, which served to dissect. On the walls and ceilings are wooden statues of Hippocrates and famous surgeons. On the professor’s pulpit sits Anatomia, held by two skeletons wrapped in muscles. These are impressions that must first be allowed to work on you.
Opposite the professor’s pulpit was the seat of the inquisitor. He, as a representative of the Church, was always present to check whether the work was justifiable from a religious point of view.